Front End Engineer - RCN01361
IT | RCN Cardiff Gate Office | £40,506
Contract type: Permanent
At the Royal College of Nursing we’re an optimistic organisation. And we’ve got good reason to be. We all share the same voice when it comes to changing the shape of the health policies of the future. And as the largest trade union of nursing staff and students in the UK – with over 450,000 members – all we can see are the infinite possibilities for a brighter future. Join us and you will too. We're accredited with Investors in People Gold Standard.
Front End Engineer
RCN Cardiff Gate Office, 35 hours, Permanent
Please note, should we receive a high volume of applications for this role, your application may not be shortlisted if you do not submit a Supporting Statement. A Supporting Statement is an important part of our application process, so we would encourage you to submit one as part of your application.
As a Front End Engineer you’ll use your positive attitude, your knowledge of Front End web technologies and your ability to deliver exceptional web applications for nurses.
As part of the RCN Development team you will work collaboratively to set the direction of the RCN’s web presence, approaches and technologies used.
We expect you to look after our users. And we expect you to be rewarded for it. As well as a whole range of learning and development opportunities we can also offer you an impressive range of benefits. We have a highly competitive pay structure, as well as flexible working, and annual leave of up to 32 days. Balancing work and life commitments is important to us as an organisation.
We are a diverse organisation and understand everyone has different needs. All employees can ask for flexible working and when personal circumstances change we will work with you to find a smarter working solution that suits everyone. In fact, many of our employees enjoy home working, flexible working or compressed hours, enabling them to deliver results with minimum impact to their professional and personal commitments. We also offer generous Maternity, Paternity and Adoption leave packages.
To join us you’ll need a great attention to detail and exceptional communication skills and, ideally, a background in a relevant area such as developing websites or web apps. Whatever your background, you'll be efficient, accurate and show a real customer focus in all you do.
* Create appealing and functional designs for web applications
* Define UX of features and functionality based on industry recommended principles
* Work in a tight-knit team of developers to deliver solutions in an agile environment
* Work with stakeholders to identify business requirements
* Define and run design workshops sessions
* Deliver functional user experiences that match business requirements, user stories, and style guides
* Provide accurate technical estimates for development time-frames
* Ensure efficiency of page load speed, page weight, and code simplicity
* Keep up to date with latest best practice and technologies in the frontend ecosystem
* Projects may require meetings at different RCN locations, candidates must be happy to travel
* CSS and CSS pre-processors
* ES6 experience a plus
* Strong experience creating functional and aesthetically pleasing designs * Familiar with creating wireframes using tools such as Figma or Axure is a plus
* Knowledge of task runners is beneficial
* Developing responsive user experiences
* Agile development methodology
* Familiar with modular design
* IDE experience (such as Visual Studio Code or Visual Studio)
* Some familiarity with working with C# MVC backend
* Experience with a CMS a big plus
To succeed at the Royal College of Nursing all you need to do is think bigger, better and brighter. And with an attitude like that, anything’s possible.
Please note, that due to Covid-19, while we are trying our best to accommodate our Assessment Centres and Interviews on the dates outlined in our adverts, we may need to be flexible about how and when we run our Recruitment processes for the time being.
We are currently running Assessments and Interviews remotely should we need to, in accordance with Government advice, so if you envisage any issues with accessing a computer, webcam or a sufficient internet connection for a video call, then please do highlight this in your Supporting Statement. We will of course do all we can to ensure you have the best experience in applying to work with us during this challenging period.
For more information or for an informal discussion about the role please contact Jonathan Robbins, Senior Software Solutions Architect on 02920 546 428.
For more information on the Recruitment & Selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, please upload your CV and a covering note explaining why you believe you are a good fit for the position. We will then be in touch to arrange a telephone interview and if that goes well we’ll invite you in for a face-to-face meeting. This meeting consist of a number of interview questions and we’ll ask you to bring along some code you have written for you to explain to us and answer some questions on.
Please note, should we receive a suitable number of applications for this post after a week of posting this advert, this vacancy may close early.
Opening Date: 16 March 2021
Closing Date: 11.59pm on 03 May 2021
Assessment Centre & Interview Date: TBC
Contracted hours: 35